Monday, December 28, 2009

Last day in Trinidad and what to do in Miami?

So I'm feeling very sad to be leaving Trinidad, though not as tearful as Gabi, who has to leave her wonderful cousin Kayleigh. The girls really got along, for which we are so grateful.

We spent the last 2 days at Rampanalgas, just north of Balandra Bay, at a beach house that Alen's brother Jonny goes to as a time share about 4 weeks a year. I have not found a photo that does justice to the place. The house has access to its own rocky beach (as well as its own cold jacuzzi), and just a couple of miles down is Balandra beach where there is a river outlet. The kids loved playing there.

We also drove up to Galera point lighthouse near Toco. The highlight of this was taking Sasha down onto the rocks - you can't see it in the photo, but it's on a rocky cliff right on the northeast corner of Trinidad. Sasha was thrilled to go out on the rocks - I held him tight and kept him far from the edge but I could see his grandfather Vlad was about to have a heart attack nonetheless in fear Sasha would take off. I let Sasha throw small rocks off the cliff and he was able to throw quite far but we could not see them fall into the water of course since we stayed far back for safety. Amazing view and lots of stress.

So the kids had a fabulous time and going to the northeast coast was really one of the highlights of our trip.

I had to edit this part of the post because the links I found did not work. Here's a map of Trinidad. On this same site are photos of the places we went but I can't get the links to work to them. Find Balandra and Rampanalgas on the beaches page and the lighthouse on the sites, all in the northeast coast.

Now this is not the first time that while we were away from our quiet, safe home country on a long plane trip some fool has tried to blow up a plane. At least, I don't think it is. We seem to attract increased travel restrictions whenever we fly. So now nerves are gearing up for another three leg journey. The flight attendants responsible for making passengers stay in their seats have not yet met my son!!! Please pray for us.

Tomorrow a (comparatively) short flight to Miami and 2 days with my parents. Will it be the children's museum, the zoo, or the science museum? Anyone with experience, please weigh in!!!! The Seaquarium looks great but costs nearly 3 times the other items mentioned above. We also hope to do some shopping if we can find any room in the suitcases after all the presents we have received.

All in all, I am filled with gratitude for the time and special occasions we have been able to spend with our family here and the joy and fun times we have had with them and with our kids.

1 comment:

  1. As my dad used to say about my little brother, "Aw, give the kid some Jack Daniels and he'll be fine."

    Wish I had Miami advice, but alas. If you were further north in FL I'd send you to visit my Great Aunt Helen - she's wildly entertaining, and not expensive at all. *grin*

    b'hatzlacha!
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete