The title of this post is a tip of the nib to Ma Vie En Rose, a great film!
So I heard about Pinkwashing last spring, but it's gotten a lot of press recently with Sarah Shulman's Op Ed in the New York Times.
The basic accusation of pinkwashing is that Israel, seeking to win support of both gay and left-leaning people around the world, touts its record on gay rights to obscure the serious violations of the rights of Palestinians. For a well done example of this kind of PR, see Bret Stephens' video, Will Israel Survive?.
I have two responses to Sarah Shulman and those who accuse Israel of pinkwashing. The first was summed up on my friend Rich's facebook post with the link to her article: No matter what we do, they hate us. I would say it differently like this: When Israel is wrong we're wrong and when we're right we're wrong.
My second response is that of course I agree. Of course gay rights are an incomplete indicator of human rights. I've had ample time to think over the past 11 years about whether it is right that my partner and I took advantage of the benefits allowed us under the law of return and moved here while millions of Palestinians do not have the right of return to this area and while my neighbors across the green line in Wadi Fukin and Husan do not have the right to vote and have limited freedom of movement.
But for me it's not about pinkwashing, it's about reality. It's about my life. And my reality is that my family can't live in the US because my partner and I are a bi-national same sex couple. So gay rights in Israel isn't theory for me, it's fact. It's not something to like or not like, it's something that makes my family life possible. And no David, this is not about my pain. This is about my reality.
The reality is the every country that surrounds Israel has human rights issues. Nothing is black and white, and every country lives with a messy reality. Because Israel is subject to an organized media campaign of de-legitimization, and because Israel cares about its image in the eyes of the western world, for self-serving reasons no doubt, we have people out there making the case for what's good about the reality here. Whether you like that or not, it doesn't make a difference to me. I can't live in the US as a lesbian and I'm here because of the reality of gay rights in Israel.
It's not lost on me that Sarah Shulman is in all likelihood, like myself, a descendant of Sarah Imenu. And perhaps that's a good thing. We are a people with a conscience and our arguments and differences are leshem shamayim. For better or worse, the Jewish people still want Israel to be a light unto the nations and for many people it is love of justice and of the Jewish people and the Jewish tradition that motivates their criticisms of Israel. I would not for one minute want my brothers and sisters to stay silent about what they believe is right. I just ask that they remember that there are people, including gay Palestinians, for whom these issues are not words on a page, are not a matter of spin or of "washing" one way or another. There are many people whose lives are directly impacted by the reality of gay rights here - for the good.
None of us knows where this is all leading - if the decline of women's rights in Israel is any indication, nothing is working out the way we planned. I'm grateful that the anti-gay policies of the US government compelled my family to move to the place where the Jewish tradition and politics are intertwined, where the messy imperfection of reality is the challenge that faces me every day.
Friday, November 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Gail,
ReplyDeleteI celebrate the fact that you're here and leading a life that is denied you in other places. B'ruchah haba'ah...but I don't agree with the gist of your posting, and here's why:
Since we Jews are privileged in every moment of our life in Israel, and since we are the beneficiaries of stolen land and water at all times here (especially when traveling from Jerusalem past Husan on the tunnel road), there isn't a moment during which we have the luxury of not fighting for the restoration of land and residence to the Palestinians, not just to those living (?) under occupation and/or under 2nd class citizenship, but also to the vast majority who have been in exile since 1948. I continue to live here not because I feel I am fulfilling mitzvat yishuv eretz yisrael but because my Palestinian friends have given me a kind of honorary citizenship that I "earned" by working for their legitimate rights.
You are sadly correct in asserting that Palestinians and other Arabs do not enjoy in their communities the freedom to live as you do in Israeli society, and I bemoan that, but the mere mention of that in public discourse doesn't help one single Arab GLBT, but only serves to further delegitimize Arabs/Muslims worldwide in this us-or-them scenario.
Gail,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your thought ful and eloquent post. I tried to post my comment here, but it had too many words. So I've posted it on my blog:
http://rabbibrant.com/2011/11/27/on-pinkwashing-in-israel-my-response-to-a-friends-blog-post/
Would love to be in dialogue (on either blog - or both!)
Kol Tuv and in Friendship,
Brant