Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I always thought that I'd see you again


I wanted to share some songs and poems I've been thinking of in the days since I found out my beloved friend Alan Kaufmann took his own life last week.

Alan and I met in the summer of 1981 when I was 19. I don't know if we saw each other since that time. Today I went looking for the box he gave me with a scroll in it saying that I would always have a place in his heart. We were connected to each other until the day he died, and had planned to see each other February 1. Since he died I understand everything about why we will not be seeing each other, but I still grieve.

While looking for the box he gave me I came across this poem:

Should you go first and I remain
To walk to road alone
I'll live in memory's garden dear
With happy days we've known
In spring I'll watch for roses red
When fades the lilac blue
In early fall when brown leaves call
I'll catch a glimpse of you

....Should you go first and I remain
To finish with the scroll
No length'ning shadows shall creep in
To make this life seem droll
We've known so much happiness
We've had our cup of joy
And memory is one gift of G-d
That death cannot destroy

In the box where I found Alan Kaufmann's photos I also found lots of love letters from my Alen that made me smile.

I've been thinking of the Deirdre McCalla song too few and far between, but I can't find the lyrics online. Her music really speaks to me right now. Since I can't find that, I'll post this beautiful version of her song Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Gail, my heart goes out to you. And if you don't mind lrayng for strangers, keep my friend Lou Harry and his wife Cindy in your prayers. Yesterday their 16 year old daughter Maggie took her life. Lou and I were bet buds 1983-86 t Temple. So sad and tragic.

    I really love that poem, thanks for sharing it.

    The Deirdre McCalla song that spoke to me when we lost Chris was Wait Until Morning.

    ReplyDelete