Alen is coming home tomorrow so I am taking advantage of the opportunity to be creative and sloppy in the kitchen, like I like it, and to eat things she wouldn't. Tonight's creations:
Gail's celery soup
This is so sweet, mild and delicious I am surprised! Gabi thinks it needs chunks - this recipe is just for a medium broth. (Not light, not thick.)
I know it's too hot for soup - but soup nuts were calling my name and I needed something to eat them with!
Half a celery (the inside half) cut up
One kohlrabi, in chunks
One diced onion
Four garlic cloves
One carrot in chunks
Cover well with water, add salt and boil for 45 minutes to an hour.
Puree with soup blender.
I strained it because Israeli celery is so stringy
Then add salt and pepper to taste and a dash of milk if you want.
Reheat and serve with the finest soup nuts!
Gail's salmon cakes
Two potatoes, cubed, boiled and mashed
1/2-1 lb (300-400g) leftover salmon, mashed
One onion, chopped and fried
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
2 eggs (you could do one egg, or one egg and one egg white - these were a little eggy)
1 tablespoon flour or one crushed rice cake
2 tablespoons grated fresh parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
Mix this all together and make into cakes on a cookie sheet - I used greaseproof paper. Bake for 30-40 minutes at 180 C (375 F?) until they hold together and are slightly brown. Serve with ketchup.
These were delicious. Sasha even ate one, but he gave it a score of 6 out of 10. We couldn't taste the cheese much - maybe add more if you want to taste it.
Alen would eat the salmon cakes, but not the celery soup!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment