Thursday, October 22, 2015

What I would do with Yotam Ottolenghi's leek fritter recipe if I had it all to do over again

Two leeks
One small onion
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped parsley

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs
150 g yogurt
1 tablespoon baking powder
 2 eggs
cubes of bulgarit - about 1/3 of a container (feta in the US)

Chop the onion small and the leeks in slices
Saute in olive oil until soft - about 15 minutes
Add the parsley and spices to the sauteed leek + onion

Make a batter of the flour, bread crumbs, yogurt, baking powder and eggs.

Mix the vegetables into the batter.  Add the bulgarit.

Put on greaseproof paper in spoonfuls (think big cookies) and bake about 20 minutes at 170 C or 350 F.  They should be browned and set like cookies.

This is only slightly different from what I did.  This leaves out the sugar and butter from his recipe.  (I used oil instead of butter but it was really unnecessary.)  I would add the eggs - he had just one egg white.  If you don't want to use two eggs, try it with one.

Serve with yogurt or sour cream, or make a fancy sauce by adding garlic and lemon to one or the other.

Let me know if you make these!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment