This rant was inspired by my sister in law, Eliza, who published on her facebook status last week, "what is your favorite music to clean by?" This evoked rage in me, because I did not have a snowball's chance in hell of being able to clean by music, since I could not get an hour to myself in the house when the kids weren't there - either controlling the public space - tv or music - or sleeping and when whatever choice I made of music would either wake them up or annoy them or Alen.
So now....finally....I have a couple of hours to myself in the house to clean or do whatever I want and can't find anything I want to listen to. Here's the problem - I have no energy or time to find new music, and I don't like anything we have here. All those cds of music I used to love - Jackson Browne, Elton John, Dire Straits. I put them on and I don't like the way they make me feel. I don't want to be the person I was when I liked this music. None of the old songs are doing it.
So I look for my Garth Brooks double live cd. Some of you may remember Sasha broke one of the discs in half last year (or was it the year before?). But I'm supposed to have one disc still. I clean up all the cds and put them back in their cases. 30 minutes go by. The cds look better and will stay organized for 45 minutes after the kids get home. No Garth Brooks. Nothing I want to listen to.
Now I am sure if you know me or you've read this far, you will understand that I am seriously old. That's right - no Ipod, no Itunes, no ear plugs. No downloaded music, not even a cd burner as far as I know. I have not made the leap. I don't know how and don't have time to figure it out.
So this is a plea - if you have some old cds that you are not using, something good, Cris Williamson, Meg Christian, Heather Bishop, Margie Adam, Garth Brooks, David Allen Coe (google him if you want to see real music :-)), please pack them up and send them to me - I'll send you my address. And please, send me some good music karma if you have any and concrete baby steps I could take to return to the world of music.
P.S. Last March, I bought a radio CD for my car. The CD never worked. I went back once, they said they fixed it, it wasn't fixed and I couldn't find time since then to go again. I have 3 more months to get there. I mostly listen to talk radio. How did I become this person?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No...really. Go to grooveshark.com and search for whatever you want. It's legal because you are not downloading the music, just listening. It's truly amazing. You can even use the radio function...choose one song you like and it will search for other songs from artists you might enjoy as well. As RDCG would say: מאוד כדי!
ReplyDeleteadd an aleph before the yud.
ReplyDeletethanks for the tip!
i have to correct you on a few points.
ReplyDeletewe do have a cd burner and we do have ear plugs. And if you look in my office there are TONS of old cassette tapes of all your old favorites that you refused to let me throw away...I am sure some of them still work. A
Dear Gail,
ReplyDeleteThis is actually a golden age for contemporary pop music. Here in Philadelphia, the main pop radio station is WIOQ. You can listen online by going to http://www.q102.com/main.html and clicking on the "Listen Live" button in the upper left corner. The station is (crassly) commercial, but they play a lot of catchy music.
Bob
Your age is showing not by your musical taste but by your capitalization of the "I" in iPod.
ReplyDeleteHi, Gail,
ReplyDeleteYour blogs is beautiful. Wonderfully well said and sensitive.
Thank you for this.
Keep Writing!
Karen